I was looking for some comparisons between the Xbox 360 and the Playstation 3 on the interwebs so I could help a good friend make an important choice. Well what I found were lists of technical specs for each console that made about as much sense to me as quantum physics. What I’m going to do is list what I believe to be each system’s pros and cons.
I don’t care about GPU numbers or what ever the hell “3.2 GHz Cell Broadband Engine with PPE & SPEs” means. I’m going to list what is important to me.
I’m going to start off with Xbox 360.
- It’s cheaper than the PS3.
- It’s been on the market for longer, so it has more games available.
- Xbox Live is a pretty decent online system for gamers both hardcore and casual
- The Achievement system is a cool idea. You earn ranking for doing specific tasks in games. The 360 keeps track of your overall ranking for all the games you play.
That’s about all I can think of for 360 Pros. Now the Cons
- HD-DVD lost the format war. It doesn’t seem that big of a deal now (except to those who bought HD-DVD players) Even still, 360 owners would have to buy an add-on player to even use their HD-DVDs.
- Tons of needed add-ons. The cheapness of the 360 is offset by the need to purchase MOAR STUFF. Want to connect wirelessly? Buy the 79.99 adapter. Need to save your games? Buy the 20GB HDD.
- You have to pay for Xbox Live online. If you don’t care about playing online with others, then don’t worry about this one, but YOU need to.
- Red Ring of Doom. According to my internets searching, 17% of all 360s die at the hands of the Red Ring of Doom.
- The controllers take batteries. I hate buying batteries.
Ok, there goes that. Now on to the Playstation 3
- Everything you need to make it do everything it can is built into the console.(except it doesn’t come with HDMI cables. fucking Sony)
- The PS3 online system is almost identical to the 360’s with one difference, it’s free.
- Surfing the internets. The 360 does not have a web browesr, PS3 does. You can pause the game and connect to the interweb and look up porn.
- Trophies = the PS3 equivalent to 360’s Achievements, but for free.
- The PS3 runs Blu-ray. At first this wasn’t a big deal to me, until I read up on what the hell Blu-ray is. Mostly it’s a bunch of numbers, but Blu-ray is better. Much better.
- If you have or have thought about getting a PSP, it just adds a whole new level to the PS3. The list of PSP-PS3 synergy could take up it’s own post.
- I have one, and I play mad games. I also take on all challengers. (anyone with a PS3 reading this, I play Call of Duty 4, Grand Theft Auto 4, Metal Gear Solid 4, NCAA 09*, and Armored Core 4. Email or comment with your PSN, and I’ll gladly do battle)
- Extra personal pro. The exclusive titles for the PS3 were more appealing to me than the 360 exclusives. (Metal Gear Solid 4, Gran Turismo5, and ratchet and Clank series)
Ok, the Cons
- It’s expensive as fuck. I could have gotten 4 hookers, a large pizza, and some bubble gum for the price of the PS3. The 360 is cheaper (not including the needed add-ons)
- The game box itself is pretty big.
- It’s fucking expensive as hell.
There you go. Enough facts, mixed in with super biased opinion, to make a choice. But for reals, get down with the PS3, we’re waiting to start up the Dynasty.